The Mini’s shell is at the painters (Benge Spraypainting and Restoration) and Sin has let us help* with the seam sealing.
It’s possible that disassembling a shell and seeing all the places rust was hiding might have made me a bit paranoid. In any case, I’m sealing every seam that was a bit rusty- which is almost all of them.
Masking tape to keep the sealer contained, brush the sealer into the join then smooth off with a prepsol-soaked rag, and we’re done. An easy 5 days work.
*Sin might have got the impression that I’m a bit fussy about some things, and we decided it might be easier if we did the seam sealing ourselves. Also, we’re cheap, and this is actually fun.
Our Mini has a lot of stainless steel trim, and most of it is showing its age. Luckily it’s fairly easy to polish, though some of the deeper scratches and dents needed a bit of hammering and sanding first.
First we give everything a bloody good clean- most of it was full of mud, spiders, and overspray in various colours.
Wet sanding with progressively finer sandpaper (finishing with 2000 grit)
A damn good polish on the buffing wheel- it turns out that it’s important to use the correct polishing compound for the metal you’re polishing. Jeweller’s rouge, which I had on hand, doesn’t do a great job on stainless steel. Since I couldn’t find any Green compound, I tried good old Autosol polish- and it worked a treat, albeit a bit splattery.
A final tidy up by hand and we’re done.