The last time we saw the rear brakes they were freshly installed and looked like this:
The rear brakes were one of the first things I finished, before we figured out that cast iron needs to be zinc plated, and that some newer cast iron parts are quite weak, especially when it comes to threads. In the excitement of final assembly I couldn’t be bothered going back and bringing the cylinders up to the same standard as all the rest, hence the brakes now look like this:
Gross. The bleed nipple hole isn’t deep enough and only engages 3 or 4 threads, and so they’ve partially stripped, allowing brake fluid to weep out. The cast iron brake cylinders have rusted. This is clearly unacceptable. Out with the Helicoils, zinc plating bath, and black paint!