Airbox, Mk2

The fancy(?) airbox I built works well now, but is a tiny bit big- it sometimes touches the wiring loom, and you can hear it vibrating through the firewall. It’s almost like I built it to suit a car without an inch of Dynamat on the firewall. Weird.

Airbox2

It’s also a bit rectangular. I’m sure I can make something better. But first we design it with CAD:

01CAD

I have discovered the joy of using a former. Spending half hour making something you were only going to throw away seems like a waste of time, but it makes shaping the sheet metal amazingly easy, and very accurate.

02Former

03hammering

04Aligned

05Tacked

06Ground

No, I’m not showing what the welds looked like before linishing them back. Pulse welding might keep the sheet metal from warping, but it’s not pretty.

Test fit box, add an air inlet, and then paint:

07TestFit

08Testfit

09Paint

So pretty. I even treated it to a new air hose, since the old one was a bit crap. Rubber end seals made out of a bit of old gumboot for Kiwi authenticity.

10fit

12Hose

The new air filter is from a Nissan Tiida or Cube, a 1.6litre engine that makes 112hp, so it should flow enough air.

11filter

Scuttle!

The corners of the windscreen scuttle were typically rusty, so we ordered a couple of non-genuine repair panels. The quality of the repair panels was… disappointing. Here’s a picture that’s worth 1000 words (most of them curses).

IMG_20120824_121546

I ended up using the bare minimum of the repair panel, but even that needed modification.
IMG_20120823_194616 IMG_20120823_200746

Early Minis had a panel that protected the hinge mounts from road spray. It seems like a sensible idea, so I made my own version.

IMG_20120824_203540 IMG_20120824_203550

Now strip!

The strip down begins, and doesn’t take long: it’s a Mini.
IMG_20120502_131931
First, the interior. Half the carpet was already missing, but I think the floor is salvageable.
IMG_20120506_140407IMG_20120510_142903
Rear subframe is out, and looking surprisingly solid, if a little dirty.
IMG_20120506_172414
Next comes the engine bay.
 The brake booster bracket is distinctly home made- I’ll have to fix that. (Funny what seems important when you first start a project).
IMG_20120510_140241 IMG_20120510_174035
The previous owner had added an expansion tank (a good idea) and mounted it in the driver’s side wheel arch, where you couldn’t get to it without unbolting it. Bizarre. So I’m fitting it in an equally bizarre but slightly more accessible place.
IMG_20120508_175705
Our haul of spare parts included a right hand fuel tank, so we fitted it at this stage, just for the hell of it.

Keen eyed viewers will notice that the retaining strap is on the wrong side. I didn’t notice at the time, but I’m sure it’ll come back to haunt me.

IMG_20120507_163827

Disk brakes were a nice surprise, but they’re going to need a bit of work.