The sills are often the first part to rust out on a Mini, so I was surprised to find that Rupert’s sills seemed solid. After seeing the craftsmanship in the boot floor, I was also deeply suspicious. Off they come…
Huh. As gross as it looks, it’s actually not bad in there. Still, I cleaned it up and made sure all was well before putting new sills back on.
The corners of the windscreen scuttle were typically rusty, so we ordered a couple of non-genuine repair panels. The quality of the repair panels was… disappointing. Here’s a picture that’s worth 1000 words (most of them curses).
I ended up using the bare minimum of the repair panel, but even that needed modification.
Early Minis had a panel that protected the hinge mounts from road spray. It seems like a sensible idea, so I made my own version.
More poorly- disguised horror lurking in the rear seat back. The brushed-on underseal is a clue that this was a less than conscientious repair.
This area contributes to the lateral stiffness of a Mini’s shell, so needs to be strong. More welding!
In hindsight, I really should have just replaced the entire boot floor/seat pan. This is why you have the shell stripped before commencing repairs.
Minis have a pair of holes in the firewall and rear seat back, allegedly used in the factory for the roto-dip rust preventative process. Oh well, at least they’re handy for mounting the Mini shell on a rotisserie.